Wednesday, August 2, 2017

The End of an Era

It's becoming very evident that Caleb is moving into a new phase of life. For the last 4.5 years, so much of our weekly schedule has been focused on therapy appointments. Caleb has worked with the same fantastic physical therapist since he was just a few months old. That therapist works part-time, and her schedule won't work with Caleb's new school schedule next month. Our last session with her will be tomorrow, August 3rd. It's crazy to think that we won't see her anymore. She has been such a big part of helping Caleb get stronger and meet so many gross motor milestones. We absolutely love the clinic, so we are going to continue therapy there. I'll take Caleb one day after school each week to work with another therapist. I imagine it'll take him a few weeks to get adjusted to working with someone new, but I'm excited to see how he does with her.

Caleb hasn't been working with his OT for quite as long, but I think he has been seeing her for at least three years (maybe a little longer). She doesn't have any after-school openings, and neither do the other therapists at the clinic. It's a pediatric OT clinic, so most of their patients are school-age and also needing those coveted appointments in the late afternoons. Caleb is on a wait-list, but we don't know how long it'll take for something to open up. We're waiting to hear back from another clinic. For now, he will finish outpatient OT on August 8th. 

We have the world's best speech pathologist. Our schedules fortunately still work, so he will continue seeing her weekly.

Caleb does get PT, OT and Speech at school, and so much of what he does in the classroom helps with his OT goals. I'm not too worried about him no longer doing outpatient OT.

For Tyler's sake, I'm kind of excited about freeing up our schedule a little bit. For 2.5 years, he has tagged along to so many appointments and missed so many good naps. It will be really good for him to have a little more time to do his own thing. I'm off on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so Tyler and I will have six hours together while Caleb's at school. I'm sure we'll find all sorts of fun things to do on those Tuesday and Thursday mornings. He still takes great afternoon naps, so I'm looking forward to a couple quiet hours between lunch and when we leave to pick up Caleb from school. 

No comments:

Post a Comment