Friday, September 9, 2016

Potty Training Advice?



We've been really casual about Caleb's potty training for the last several months, and the time is coming to get serious about it. My plan is to focus hard on it while Caleb's out of school for fall break next month. Please share any advice or product recommendations! I've read lots of articles and blogs, but I still really have no clue what we're about to get ourselves into! 



2 comments:

  1. We started trying to train River from the age of 3, every school break he had we were doing it. Having a potty around was not encouragement enough for him. He was not ready until the age of 6. At that age he was developmentally ready, and understood the concept that mom was done with diapers. Especially on a big kid. I knew he was ready and had asked his teacher if she would help, and this was 2 weeks before summer break. She said he was not ready. 2 weeks after school let out he was "trained". He still needs assistance wiping and I am not sure how long that skill will take to develop. River has never been a night time pottier, though, so that helped. We took him potty every half hour and he would sit and still flood my floor. What finally worked for him was sitting extensively. He was not being hurt, and he had wiggle breaks, but we essentially set up house in the bathroom. He had a tv tray, a drink, a snack, and his tablet. We sat until he went and made the connection. He was just not getting it before that. I hope Caleb will learn sooner...

    ReplyDelete