Thursday, January 31, 2013

Pre-op Day

We arrived at Childrens Medical Center at 7:30am today for a full day of pre-op activities. We started at the cardiology clinic with a sedated echocardiogram and an EKG. We were then sent downstairs to the outpatient lab. Caleb has always been stingy with giving blood, so I warned the tech. Caleb gave a little blood from his right arm and nothing from his left. I told the tech that we've had luck in the past getting blood from a vein in his foot, but she didn't feel comfortable trying that. We went back to the cardiology clinic and waited for someone from the hospital's IV team. She got the blood from his foot. Mama knows best!

We then met with the surgeon's NP and a NP from the cardiovascular intensive care unit (CVICU). They explained tomorrow's procedure. Leading up to all of this, I read all about the surgery online, watched Youtube videos of similar surgeries, and met with Caleb's surgeon. But none of that prepared me for hearing all the details of the surgery while staring at my precious boy and realizing that this is really happening tomorrow. Thank goodness there was a box of tissues in the room. I'm honestly not anxious or scared about the surgery, but it's still hard to hear about my son's chest being opened up and about all the tubes/wires he'll have in his perfect little body. I do know that Caleb is in good hands. More people than I even know in Oklahoma, Texas, and around the world (even Canada, Bahrain, & Belarus... according to the blog traffic stats!) are thinking and praying for our little man. This kid is loved and being prayed over by so many. Thank you all!

So anyway, I dried my tears and the day continued. The surgeon came to talk with us briefly, and then we took a lunch break at about 1:30. After a surprisingly good lunch in the hospital food court, we returned to the cardiology clinic for one last exam and pre-op instructions. His labs were back, and his thyroid levels were at a level that the medical team almost considered postponing surgery. After all the parties involved discussed Caleb's case, they decided to continue with surgery as scheduled. Good deal! I think there would have been even more tears if the surgery had been postponed at that point!

We finished off the day with a tour of the CVICU and cardiac floor, and then Caleb had to get a couple chest X-rays done. We left the hospital at about 4:45. Long day!

Once we got settled into the hotel, I hit the gym for a quick run on the treadmill and some cardio on the elliptical. Our parents arrived shortly thereafter. We have spent the evening visiting, watching the Thunder game, and snacking on all the wonderful food that our moms brought. It's a good thing I worked out earlier!

We have to be at the hospital at 6:00am Friday morning, and Caleb's surgery is scheduled for 7:30am. It should take 4-6 hours. Check back tomorrow for updates! And thanks again for all the prayers!

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you, your sweet boy, all the hospital staff and surgeons and nurses who will be working with your little one. May God continue to provide peace for you tonight and tomorrow while Caleb is being taken care of.

    ReplyDelete