Before we went to Dallas for Caleb's surgery, a friend told us about a family that she knew of through a mutual acquaintance. Their son was in Dallas for heart surgery, and they were staying at the Ronald McDonald House. We were given the mom's name and phone number. Brad and I decided that if we happened to meet the family, that would be fine. We weren't going to call her and initiate anything though. I didn't want to go out of my way to meet them. Yes, their baby had heart surgery, but they couldn't relate to everything else that we had going on. We were going to Dallas to fix Caleb's heart and then move forward. At some point, I needed to connect with parents of kids with Down syndrome... but I didn't need to connect with parents of heart babies, too.
The day of Caleb's surgery, Brad and I were in the ICU waiting room. A lady walked over to the thermostat near us and asked if we minded that she turn the temperature up. We said "no" and then asked about her child... just making small talk. She told us that her son had surgery a couple weeks before and was having a cath that day. Somehow it came up that she was from Edmond, and we realized that she was the mom we had been told about. As the conversation continued, we found out that her son was born only 10 days after Caleb, that his heart defect was similar to Caleb's, and also that he has Down syndrome. Wow. This mom, who I thought couldn't relate, was going through the exact same things as us! I felt like such a fool for thinking that I didn't need to meet her. God knew I needed Jamie's friendship over the last month and going forward, though. I'm so thankful that He orchestrated our meeting, despite my opposition.
Our boys have both been home from the hospital for a few weeks, and we finally were able to get them together for a play date yesterday. I had so much fun watching them interact, and I know they will be great friends for years to come.
In response to the "Welcome to Holland" story, another woman wrote a story called "Amsterdam International" (read it here). Thank you, Jamie and Emerson, for helping me find my way out of the airport.
Philippians 4:19-20 And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. Now to our God and Father be the glory forever and ever. Amen.
Philippians 4:19-20 And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. Now to our God and Father be the glory forever and ever. Amen.


What an amazing story of God's plan! I'm glad my sister and nephew have you guys in their lives!
ReplyDeleteThanks for commenting, Dana!
Delete